Friday, February 5, 2010

junkin' memories

My mom and my aunt I think invented or at least perfected the art of "junkin'".  That's what they called it.  As far back as I can remember (at least the 1970's), they would get together regularly to go junkin.  They would take their nice jewelry off and dress really casually and take the spare car one of them had instead of my mom's Lincoln or my aunt's Mercedes because they said they would have better bargaining power and get the "bottom dollar" price if they didn't look "all fancy."  They would hit garage sales, flea markets, Goodwill, Salvation Army, anyplace to find "a bargain."  Most of my childhood home furnishings came from these places or Canton.  (If you don't know about Canton, Texas and First Monday Trade Days, you're missing out!) I think they did it for fun more than anything because after my mom passed away, we found a lot of her "bargains" still wrapped up in bags and in boxes up in closets or the attic.  I think she had forgotten about them.  Luckily, some of those bargains were things perfect for me and many of them are now in my house.  We found glass doorknobs, little chandeliers, etc. 

My aunt who is now in her late 70's still goes "junkin" as does some of the younger generations.  One of those great family "junkers" is my cousin, Gale.  For Christmas one year, she gave me a gift she found junkin and if my memory is correct, I believe she found it practically on the side of the road.  I love it.  It's been moved around to various places in and around the house. For years, I had it hanging on my front porch but recently moved it indoors to my entry hall.  It's pretty big, about 20+ inches in diameter and it's metal, chipped and rusted, bent and dented and faded.  Perfect!

Why did the chicken cross the road?  To get to my house!

3 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and have been enjoying your posts. I also started blogging in January of this year, so that sort of makes us blog twins with our little baby bloglets. Mine is http://gracie-senseandsimplicity.blogspot.com/. I also noticed that we both are SLPs - I think you are the first one I have met in blogland. I work in a school board setting. I will definitely be dropping in to see how things are going down in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your chicken and your memories. What a nice story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up going junkin', too!!! I'm sure we've discussed this. I spent most Saturday mornings in the Flea Market in the stockyards or in Grapevine... good memories. Although I did not appreciate it at the time... ~ kim

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails