Monday, May 10, 2010

If I can do it...easy make your own signs

I love old signs.  You know, the kind that look like they have hung out in the weather for a hundred years.  Those are getting harder to find and when you do find a good one, it can be expensive.  I've seen many bloggers recreate old signs so well that I couldn't tell the difference.  To do it well, it looks like a lot of work.  I just don't have that kind of patience.  If I decide to do a project, I like to do it fast and get instant gratification.  I have never made a sign before but on a whim I decided to give it a try.  If you like to do things the right way, just turn away now.  I'm sure this will go against all rules.  If you like fast and easy, stay tuned.

Do you remember this sign I posted about last week that Jennie found?  Maybe if you squint your eyes you can make it out.  For those of you under 40, this is what everything will look like in a few years.
The more I squinted and looked at that sign, the more I kind of wanted one.  It's cute.  So, with leftovers I had in the garage, I gave it a whirl.  Here's what I did.
I started with a piece of cheap wood the size I wanted for my sign.  If it has "issues", that's okay.  It will add to the "character" of it.
I like thin wood.  I don't know why.
I sanded the edges just enough that I wouldn't get splinters in my fingers while I handled it.
Then, I spraypainted it a quick good coat of creamy white. I like satin finish because the next layer of paint won't adhere perfectly to it.  There's so much spraypainting going around blogland, I hope you all have one of those spray handle attachment thingys.  They are awesome.  I have two, an old one and this newer one. 
Here's what it looked like with one coat of spray paint. 
Then, I pulled the little craft paints out in the colors I wanted.  Notice they are Yard and Garden craft paints.  Why?  Because it's what I had at the time.
I didn't wait for the spraypaint to dry completely before swiping on some pale blue.
I thought the blue was a little too plain so I mixed a bit of green and blue together and swiped that on too.  As you can see, none of the paint was applied perfectly.
Then, using a pencil, I wrote out what I wanted to write on my sign.  I did this so I would know how to space my lettering.  It's easier to erase pencil lines than paint.
Then I freehanded the letters with black craft paint.  Looks pretty bad right now, huh?
Now, sand the heck out of it.  Sand as much as you want. 
 
Finally, I glopped on some dark poly stain.  Leave it for a bit or take it off immediately. 

I took it off pretty quick because I am IMPATIENT!
That's what it looks like up close.  Not bad, huh?  I made three of these in about 30 minutes or so.
Total cost: free (because I had this stuff laying around).
This one is my favorite. 
Here's my version of Jennie's cottage sign.  Kind of cute.  What do you think?  Does it work?

 

I'm so darn happy with it that I think I'll link it to some of my favorite blog parties listed below on the right or above on my blog party page.  If anybody makes any, I would love to see them!

70 comments:

  1. You're a genius, I tell ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great use of extra wood! i love them! i have made signs in the past using old wood, but never thought just to use some leftover plywood. i don't know why that never dawned on me! :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect, perfect, perfect! You *done good*! Very nicely done - - - I'm bookmarking this page so I do something similar for the cabin!

    Thanks for sharing! I too am impatient & your style fits me to a *T*!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Makes me wish I had extra wood lying around my garage so I could make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your signs look really great. You have a very nice printing, mine free handed don't look so great. I did make one a few weeks back. I like the way you weathered it. Hugs, Cindy S

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job! Thanks for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job...love it and they look so authentic!
    xoxo Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love 'em, Gina! I use the thin wood for mine too. (makin' some tonight in fact-- I'll think of you!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial! I love your signs.

    I'd love for you to share this at my party this Thursday!

    www.houseofhepworths.com

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want a cute no soliciting sign. You are in inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicely done. They look mahvelous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gina, They look so good, you did such a great job. Thanks for the step by step might try doing a few myself! Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute! What a great use of stuff you had laying around.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial. So quick and easy. I'm thinking the no solicitors might be one to copy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It works beautifully and I'm so glad you posted this! I have wood like this in my garage that I've been eyeing {used some at Christmas for my nephew's name sign gifts} and while it's not the prettiest wood in the world I love the idea of using it for signs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These turned out great...I think I should make myself a 'No Solicitors' sign.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gina,
    Way to just go for it! Thank goodness you have nice handwriting, I could never just freehand it!
    BTW, I love your comments on my blog, but did you know you have your settings set so people can't reply back to you via email?
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Gina,
    That looks fantastic! Better than some of the ones I've paid way too much for, that's for sure!

    Have a wonderful Wednesday!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did a great job on your signs and good tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome job! You have great handwriting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great signs! They turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! They look fantastic! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my, I guess it works alright, it's awesome. thanks for sharing, and please stop by and look at my Thrifty post too. Have a blessed week! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  24. i think your signs look great,, I've been wanting to make some, I'm gonna try your easy way tonight or this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very cool! Thanks for the great tutorial!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gina, I just discovered your blog and I have to say - I love these signs! What a nifty idea...I would never have known how to do that. I am filing this away for my DIY to-do list. My favorite is the Cottage sign, as well. (Sidenote: I could totally see those being sold as "distressed vintage sign" by Pottery Barn for fifty bucks or something haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those look great!! I really like how they turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those are adorable!

    Still with the envy over here, lady! : )

    ReplyDelete
  29. I LOVE them!! I'm a sucker for signs too. I'm going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the idea of free~hand, its gives them a personal touch! Fab signs! LOVE'EM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cute & Easy... I think I can handle that! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I saw your post on a few of my favorite things and am now your newest follower!

    I absolutely LOVE your signs, I just finished making a tin one but now I want to try one like yours (I'm going to have signs all over the place!)

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is a fabulous project...quick, easy and a lot of impact--my kind of craft:) I did a similiar sign tutorial a while back as well...I love wooden signs! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It certainly does work! This is truly inspiring, though I'll have to work on my handwriting....

    A great hack, Oh Impatient One!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love it!

    I definitely need to make a larger "No Soliciting" sign, and this one is perfect!

    Thanks for the inspiration - I'm adding myself as a follower :)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  36. I made one of these a few weeks back. Amazing how easy it is huh? I love yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Absolutely darling...and INSTANT gratification....I am so all about that! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your sign turned out great. Looks antique and old. I have a piece of plywood kicking around, I might just have to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have been wanting to do this! I love the look of old signs, but can't find the right one. Thanks for the tips...Yours turned out so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love it!!!
    You've inspired me to go digging in my own "wood pile" and make a sign.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great job. I need to go find some scrap wood now!

    ReplyDelete
  42. LOVE this idea!! I definitely need to make a "No soliciting" sign. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I suppose you can tell by all the comments that we think you're brilliant! :)
    I love your signs, I may just have to try these!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love your new/old signs! I need to put this on my to do list. I want some beachy ones!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I LOVE this! What a great idea.
    ~ Jill

    ReplyDelete
  46. Very cool and you make it look dead easy as well! I love old looking signs yet haven't made many yet. Thanks for the added inspiration to Just Do It. :) And for linking up to SNS!

    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  47. Such a clever and creative girl. My heart is going pitty pat.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I have those SAME left over pieces of wood in my shed. I've been saving them to make signs too. I just love how yours turned out. I guess I'll have to get busy and make a couple. They look great.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  49. Those are so cool! Thanks so much for sharing this on Favorite Things Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  50. It looks great! I am a spray painting machine and haven't seen those spray painter thingys, must get one asap!! I just spent 2 weeks with blue spray paint all up under my nail beds and engrained in my cuticles. :)

    Beautiful signs, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I tried your method of the sign painting this weekend,, or similar to your way anyway,,, I posted about it this morning if you'd like to see. Still need to work on the lettering but it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Great idea...and I have wood just like this laying around! Now it has a purpose! I'm getting on this project toot sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I think they look awesome, will have to make one this weekend.
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  54. You did an amazing job! I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love them...my favorite is the No Soliciting...I want it...no I need that one! LOL! Can I buy? Thanks for sharing how you did it. Maybe I can find some scrapwood from a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Those are great! The No Soliciting sign is ingenious! Much better than the printer paper sign taped to my house.

    I also gotta get me one of those spray paint do-hickies.

    ReplyDelete
  57. THey all turned out great. I love the cottage one.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Love it! I enjoy the worn-out signs too and have had fun making new wood look old. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  59. visiting from CSI...love, love,love your signs! so happy you did a tutorial so I can make my own.

    -Desiree

    ReplyDelete
  60. I am visiting from CSI. Very cute and I LOVE that it was so easy! I am an instant gratification type as well! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Visiting via the link from CSI, great idea and your signs are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  62. super cute idea. i've seen these everywhere and haven't been brave enough to try it myself - now i want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  63. I love these! They look pretty simple to make. I think I will try to make one for my sisters birthday next week. Thanks for sharing!!
    Saw this on The CSI Project

    ReplyDelete
  64. I think I commented on this post before...still love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  65. I loooove your signs!!! They are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails