Monday, June 7, 2010

entry parts A and B

After I posted about my completed dining room, I mentioned that my next project was our double entry area.  The entry has two parts; we'll call them A and B.  Part A is the area you first see when you enter the front door.  The new dining room would be on your left.  Going straight ahead from entry area A, you pass through a 2nd entry (part B).  This area is worthless.  The only reason it is there is so a small (tiny) hall can attach to it.  The tiny hall has 3 doors; garage entry, hall closet and door to the laundry room.  This whole area should have been reconfigured to include one door that leads to a large laundry room only.  Oh well, that's a project we'll do after we win the lottery.

I started redoing these entry areas.  I'm not finished but thought you might like to see what I've done so far.
Here are the before pics (and you may need your sunglasses to view):
Standing at the front door, here's what you would have seen.  I am taking the picture standing in entry A.  The next little section is entry B.  Beyond that is our main living area and then french doors lead to a sunroom.  Both entry areas were painted yellow.  When I first did it, I loved it.  It looked like sunshine when you entered the house.  Now, not so much.

Standing in entry B looking back at the front door/entry A.  It all makes my head spin.
Standing in the dining room, looking into the entry A.

Here's the first part of the after.  First, we painted the areas a softer, fresher color.  It's the same color we used in our main living area.

Looks better already!
I've had this bench for years.  I got it for free from a teacher at my school who was retiring.  It looks good from a distance but...

up close, it's a bit of a mess.  I like the rustic nature of it but not the finish.
That's better.  I didn't sand or prep it, just painted.  I wanted it to look imperfect and to show it's age like it was just given a fresh coat of paint.  I put it in entry B.
I added a couple of crates, one below and one sitting on the end.

The one under the bench has "PINEAPPLE" on it.
In the small crate on top, I added a small, round McCoy vase with flowers and a china painting by my mother.


I still have a lot to do but it's coming along.  I have things to hang above it and the whole entry A to do.  I have ideas!  I just need time to complete them.  Hopefully, we'll see a lot of progress over the next couple of weeks.  By the way, total cost so far...nothing.  We had all the paint leftover from other projects and the stuff scattered around the house.  I think I'm going to be able to completely change both entry areas for nothing using leftovers.  My husband hates doing these kinds of projects but he loves the pricetag.



24 comments:

  1. I can see how the two entry spaces would make you wonder what the builder was thinking. I'm loving what you have done so far and can't wait to see it finished.
    ♥ Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am back to bug you...a big improvement! Removing the yellow was an A plus in my books...I am not a fan of yellow....the ench is nice. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bench looks lovely painted and I love the crates/boxes - I recently bought a similar one which I have put in my kitchen.
    ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bench looked great before, but with a coat of white is it beautiful! What a great piece and it looks perfect in the entry.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I love that Gina! The bench is a FIND and a half (where do you get all these great finds???) and it is so loverly in there with everything on top. Sooo lovely summer. (p.s. I love the new color but also loved the yellow too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your entry is looking fabulous! Love the bench and those crates just finish it beautifully! Hope you are ahving a fabulous week, I just read your email this morning and will reply today:) Hope you have a wonderful week ~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have lots of after-lottery projects, too!

    And I love that bench. I want the bench. I have no place to put the bench, but I'm not going to let that stop me!

    covet covet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a thing for old boxes so I'm loving those crates! And the bench they are on and under. It fits nicely in that spot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh forgot to ask, is the floor stained concrete in that area? I see wood by the door but that area doesn't look like wood. I have always loved stained concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking the 'before' was looking pretty good but then I saw the after and it just looks so fresh and clean and purty. I love the crates on and below the bench. The wood colour looks so rich against the white. Your Mom painted a lovely picture for you - lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's really coming along! Love the white bench -- and the new wall color is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking good and I really enjoyed the photos in your last post. So glad you could play along today.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your white bench looks wonderful! I like the whole area with the crate it is perfect.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm looking for a bench just like that. I want to put it on my kitchen window seat to raise up and put stuff like you have on it! The window seat is too low. If I put stuff there it just gets lost and looks like a junk pile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That china painting by your mom is really well done! What a treasure!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the bench! It looks perfect in that spot. And the crates are charming too. ::Jill

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love what you've done so far, and that bench is simply amazing! It fits so perfectly in that space, and it looks really pretty painted white. Can't wait to see what you do next!
    Happy White Wednesday!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's already quite an improvement....I love that you put a painting from your mom there too. Keep us posted as you continue. :) Pam @ Sallygoodin

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice remake, clean and simple!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for linking up Gina! I love that bench. I live close to you if you ever decide to get rid of it;-)
    Also thank you for the sign inspiration. I love doing those things!!! I just finished my other one at 2am and I'll tak some shots and post them tomorrow or Monday. Thanks again girl, love all your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your little bench is such a cute addition to your hallway!!

    I had a friend who stained her floors- I am not sure what product but it has been 10 years now and wow they still look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great bench! I love what you've done!

    ReplyDelete
  23. looking good! I really like that bench.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's turning out so cute! Good job.
    Hey! I found a link to your blog (and mine too!) on a RUSSIAN website. I’m sending the site and I also translated it with Babelfish translator. Thought you might get a kick out of this. Too funny!
    http://pegaskosmos.blogspot.com/

    http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpegaskosmos.blogspot.com%2F&lp=ru_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails