Tuesday, March 15, 2011

little industrial table & a surprise

I'm finding that I have a somewhat eclectic style.  
I know I don't really care for modern.  I like old...but I'm learning that 
I like a lot of different kinds of old.  I like vintage or antique. 
I like cottage style and farmhouse style with a bit of industrial loft style thrown in.
I like chippy and rusted and character.  I like things that tell a story.

At the Red Shed French Market sale a few weeks ago, I found this little industrial table for $15.  It's a great size, in great shape and looks pretty cool.


I don't like the green color though and there were a couple of rough places.
Nothing a good can of primer and glossy white spray paint can't fix.

Now I think I've mentioned before that I hate prepping things for change.  
I wanted to just immediately start painting but on this piece I really wanted
to keep the aluminum metal parts as is.  This included the screws, the wheels and 
the parts that swing up and prop up the sides.  I taped off the wheels and the "arms" 
that hold up the sides but I did not want to try and take itty bitty pieces of tape 
and cover the screws.  So, I grabbed my jar of petroleum jelly.  A little dab of this
stuff rubbed over the screws will not allow the paint to stick to it.

I spray painted right over the screws coated with the jelly.

Once the paint was dry, the paint on the screws just peeled off.


Here's the final product.  I love it white. 
Now I just have to figure out where to put it.
Do you see those little boxes stacked up on it? 
I'll tell you about those in a second.
3ringcottage


Here's a close up of the boxes.  These sat on a table in my
parents' house for as long as I can remember.  I knew what was in
the bottom one but I don't recall ever looking in the top one....until now!
3ringcottage

The bottom one contains a set of weights for a scale.  
I have several scales so I'm not sure which one, if any, these weights belong to
(for those of you screaming that I ended that sentence in a preposition, this is for you:
...to which these weights belong :)
3ringcottage

Look what was in the little box...little stamps with the months of the year.
I'm guessing these had been in my family's jewelry business and once my mom
saw them, she brought them home.  Aren't these little things cute?
3ringcottage

So, any ideas?  What can I use my new little industrial table for?

I'm linking up to some of my favorite parties listed in my link above or down on the bottom right.

24 comments:

  1. It's so cute all white and shiny! Thanks for sharing the vaseline tip.
    I think it would make a great entryway table, or bedside table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! those are great finds. I never knew the vaseline trick when you're painting. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see what you use the table for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a GREAT buy....I'm LOVIN' your makeover....!!

    I'm with Suzanne & think it would make a GREAT statement piece in your entryway....!

    Your boxes are DIVINE....And I LOVE the story your weights & stamps tell....LUCKY YOU....!!

    EWnjoy the rest of your week Lovey....!

    Cheers from Oz,
    Tamarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great transformation. Thanks for the vaseline trick. I had never heard of that before. ~~Sherry~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing what a little bit of fresh white paint can do! It looks great, perfect as a little laptop desk in the family room (esp with casters!!!)

    Visiting from White Wednesday! Stop by and see me at cookscleansplayswithpaper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh what a great piece. It could be used anywhere really. Even a bathroom next to the tub for towels. Thanks for the vaseline tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The table looks great with it's fresh coat of white! The size makes it perfect for so many places in the house.
    LOVE the boxes and what's in them. The patina on the boxes is perfect!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy shnikes I am in love with those boxes. Those are a find, girl!

    And what is all that loveliness behind your awesome table??

    ReplyDelete
  9. The table looks wonderful! And I adore those boxes! Such rich color and character...and family treasures! My tastes are rather eclectic, too! Too much of the same style for me just spells boring!!

    Have a great day!!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my. I have this exact same table at home that I snagged at a local thrift store for $5 last summer. It even has the same finish on it. My intention is to paint at some point. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your "industrial table" is actually called a typing table. At one time it held a typewriter on the center section. The two side flaps held paperwork and could be folded down when not in use.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great table and good tip about the petroleum jelly.
    Happy WW,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful job! What a great little treasure you have...so truly vintage!
    ~Pam
    pamspaintparlor.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Vaseline tip will come in so handy! What a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a mix in my home too! This little table looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the vaseline tip, who knew?? Love your table!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My great grandfather was also a jeweler; I would love to have some of his tools to display in my home. I love love love having truly personal vintage items as home decor! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  18. that Vaseline tip is awesome, thanks, I never would have thought of that!

    I hate prep and masking too, so I will happily try your trick next time :)

    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic table - love it in the white. Thanks for the tip about using petroleum jelly. I totally would have worked away using masking tape. I love your little boxes. Wouldn't the month stamps make a cute DIY desk calendar. I would use that table for crafting - messy crafting - since it will be indestructible.

    ReplyDelete
  20. best tip ever with the vaseline!! I wish I would have known that a week ago when i primed my hutch, the screws on the doors were starting to strip when trying to removed them so I just painted them. Thanks for visiting my blog. I love the table, those are some beautiful legs!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great table! I think it would look great in a bathroom. And those gorgeous boxes should be in a place of honor to be shone off. Quite a treasure!
    Midge

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gina, Just found your blog tonight. Love it! I'm a fellow Texas living in Arlington. I have a blog, but it is really lacking! www.summergrovehome.com I'll visit again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That little table is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I recommend the table for use at parties! It would be a nice little coffee station or cookie station.
    I just added you to my sidebar...how have I not been here before?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails